Pictou County Health AuthorityPictou County Health Authority
Home » Sutherland Harris Memorial Hospital » About Us
Contact UsLinksNews

Sutherland Harris Memorial Hospital


About Us

 



According to the history books, the first hospital in the town of Pictou was the Lazaretto - Infectious Hospital built in 1848 for sailors arriving in Pictou sick with infection diseases. Since then the hospital changed locations and names several times.

The current Sutherland Harris Memorial Hospital officially opened on June 1, 1966 and replaced the aging Sutherland Memorial Hospital that was built in 1928. Located in the west end of town, the hospital overlooks Pictou Harbour. The hospital is named after the late Mr. Daniel Sutherland, former Mayor of Pictou, and the late Mr. William H. Harris, former sheriff of Pictou County. Both gentlemen provided generous bequests that allowed the hospitals to be built.

Sutherland Harris Memorial Hospital continues to play an important role in the lives and communities it serves. It now has a restorative care unit, a veterans unit and various outpatient and community programs and services.

Contact information:
Sutherland Harris Memorial Hospital
P.O. Box 1059, 222 Haliburton Rd.
Pictou, NS
B0K 1H0
Phone: (902)485-4324

© 2005 PCHA Disclaimer