Mental Health Services serves the mental health needs of residents of Pictou County. We are committed to partnerships with clients, families and community organizations which promote mental health in our community.
Who We Are
- Our staff comes from a variety of professions including psychiatry, psychology, nursing, clinical social work and other specialties. Our team approach gives you an opportunity to receive the best care from the best provider based on your needs.
- You will be actively involved in planning your care with consideration for your personal, religious and cultural values.
- Our services are confidential. Your information is discussed only with those professionals directly involved in your care.
- Our services are free and priority is given to those in the greatest need.
- If you have resources, you may be able to access Employee Assistance Programs through your employer or be able to access private practitioners. See our links section on professional associations where you can search for a registered therapist.
How to Access Mental Health Services
- Our clinical team(s) will work with individuals and their support system to determine the optimal support plan.
- You may be referred through your family doctor or a professional from a community agency that is familiar with you. Parents may make a referral directly on behalf of children younger than 16 years of age. Self referrals are accepted.
- Emergency services can be accessed through the clinic during open hours Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, or by calling the clinic at 755–1137. After hours the Emergency Department of the Aberdeen Hospital provides emergency services, call 752–8311.
- A telephone pre–screen will be arranged with a Referral Coordinator within 1 – 3 days of your referral to assist us in understanding how we could best assist you with your goals. The specific services you will receive through Mental Health Services will be determined by the information you provide during this initial telephone call.
Last Updated: September 9, 2013